Glen Eyrie Rare Breeds Farm and Green Isle Pure Bred Pig Stud
Do you own pigs as a small business or hobby?
Do you want to learn how to keep your pigs healthy?
Then come to PigCare!
PigCare Workshop: Highlighting health
Saturday 25th October 2014
9:30 Equipment you will need to keep pigs healthy (and how to look after it) (TBC)
- Needles, syringes, slapshots, vaccinator guns, injecting pigs, recording treatments
- Sourcing equipment
- Storing equipment
- Disposal of equipment
10:15 Medicating pigs (Tim Aherne)
- Vet-only medications versus off-the-shelf
- When do I need a vet scipt?
- What records do I need to keep?
- How do I store medications?
- How long can I keep using opened vaccine bottles?
- What is "off-label"? Can I use my horse medication to treat my pig?
- What is a WHP? What is an ESI? What is the difference?
11:00 Morning tea
11:15 What vaccines are out there and should I be using them? (Tony Fahy)
- Breeder her vaccines
- Progeny vaccines
- What is an autogenous vaccine (and should I be using them)?
12:00 Common pig problems (Trish Holyoake)
- What do I do if my pigs are coughing?
- What are those spots on the skin?
1:45pm Common pig problems (cont.) (Trish Holyoake)
- Why aren't my pigs eating?
- Why aren't my sows getting pregnant?
2:30pm Understanding normal reproduction in pigs (TBC)
- demonstrating the reproductive tract
- hormones in pigs and what they do
- how do I know if my sow is in-pig?
- hormonal treatments for pigs
3:15pm What diseases can pigs get from eating the wrong thing? (Trish Holyoake)
RSVP: by Friday October 10th to Katy Brown at [email protected]
PigCare is a private group that has been developed as a way for smallholder and hobby pig farmers to communicate with each other. We network through bi-monthly face-to-face meetings and through our Facebook site. Visit our facebook site at www.facebook.com/Pigcarer
PigCare – Supporting pig producers